Sunday 12 October 2014

Screenshots – Snipping Tool

The Programming for Everybody course is already paying off – I learnt a new way to take screenshots.

In one of the lectures, the Snipping Tool is used to take screenshots (for Windows). I've been using it for years to box out a region and capture the image. Sure beats using the PrntScr key exclusively.

About a year ago a colleague pointed out the Screenshot option in MS Word 2010 in the Insert tab. This allows you to get the image of an open window without having to use the Snipping Tool by drawing the box around the window.


I use the Snipping Tool to grab images that are not encased in a window per se. I draw my box and readjust until it looks right. I get really picky about it – I like my screen grabs to be neat. Same border width all 'round I say. However I did not know that I had options with the Snipping Tool. The default is "Rectangula'Snip". Selecting "Window Snip" allows you to select any open window to take the screenshot, including (it turns out) an image on my VLC media player.


If there are two overlapping windows, you can select the background window and Snipping Tool will include the foreground image snipped out via the background border. Did that make sense? Here's a picture of two over lapping Word documents.

Using Windows Snip and selecting the background, we see that part of the foreground is included.


It goes to show that even when you've been using something for a long time, there's still more that can be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment